- The Paris subway system is a behemoth! It’s vast but efficient and apparently you’re never more than 400 meters from a subway stop. I thought it was great! Easy to understand and navigate ….and a good value.
- In Brittany the church bells ring a lot…even during funerals.
- The French people are not as PC as I thought. While in Paris there was a huge demonstration against the newly passed law allowing same-sex marriage. The authorities
estimated over 150,000 people but the promoters claimed it was closer to one million strong. I happened to walk through the area as they were setting up in the afternoon. There was a big stage and for a quarter-mile there were several video boards, and cranes with speakers hanging from them. I thought it was for a concert or I would have taken some photos.
- It’s possible to spend two weeks in Brittany and only hang out with expats from the UK. My tally for the 16 days in Brittany: I met 2 or 3 French people and about 45 Brits.
- Notre-Dame is quite amazing even when there is a zoo of tourists (like me) roaming through in the middle of Mass.